Improve your mental and physical health with Chloe Bowler's Walking Workout.
If joining a club is not for you, grab a friend and go for a walk.
Summer is finally here! It has been a long winter, and it is time to ditch the jumpers and spend more time outside. Fresh air is so good for mental and physical health, so the improving weather is a fantastic opportunity to socialise and exercise.
Exercise and socialising can go hand in hand. There are many team sports to enjoy, like hockey or tennis, and clubs for all sorts of activities, such as golf, running or even rock climbing, which can provide the perfect way to exercise and meet new people simultaneously.
If joining a club is not for you, grab a friend and go for a walk. It is the nicest way to spend an hour, and you can talk through your troubles as you get a full body workout, some sunshine and fresh air. The perfect combination for mental health as well as improving your physical fitness.
It is essential to ensure you eat nutritious food and drink plenty of water. It is easy to become dehydrated in warmer weather, so make sure to drink at least six glasses of water each day. Eating lots of vegetables with a high water content can also help, so include lots of courgettes in your diet to aid this.
1. Walk at a brisk pace for 5 minutes.
2. Stop and do 20 slow squats. Keep your back straight and knees behind your toes as you squat down.
3. Walk at a brisk pace for 2 minutes.
4. Lunge walk for 40 paces, taking a big step into a lunge with your left leg and lowering down into a lunge, then lifting your right leg forward into a lunge position and repeat for 40.
5. Walk at a brisk pace for 2 minutes.
6. Tricep Dips. Find a bench or log, and place your hands on it with your feet out in front on the floor. Bending your elbows, slowly lower yourself to the ground, then push up, straightening your arms as you do. Repeat x 10.
7. Walk at a brisk pace for 2 minutes.
8. Step Ups. Find a bench or step and place your left foot up on it. Keep your left foot still, and lift your right leg up in front of your chest, back to the floor, and then back up your chest again. Repeat x 20, then swap legs for 20.
9. Walk at a brisk pace for 2 minutes.
10. Moving Front Plank. Go down into a front plank on your elbows and feet. Keep your body in a straight line and move your body forward and backwards without letting your body move up or down. Repeat for 10.
11. Walk at a brisk pace for 2 minutes.
12. Cycling. Lie on the floor and bring your knees and feet up into the air. Crunch up with your upper body and start cycling, reaching with your left elbow to your right knee whilst straightening your left leg, then straighten your right leg and reach with your right elbow to your left knee.
13. Walk at a brisk pace for 5 minutes.