Earning their rightful superfood status, beets are low in calories yet high in valuable vitamins and minerals. The benefits of eating beets include reducing blood pressure, improving digestion, and lowering the risk of diabetes. If that isn't enough to persuade you, take a look at our deliciously coloured recipes.
Serve these vibrant fritters with rocket, avocado and lime.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2 people)
2 large beetroot, grated
2 large carrots, grated
75g plain flour
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 egg, lightly whisked
METHOD 1. Squeeze any excess liquid out of the carrots using a cheese cloth or muslin. In a large bowl, combine flour and cumin. Stir in the mustard, onion, egg and carrots. Season to your liking and carefully stir in the beetroot.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook tablespoonfuls of the mixture until crisp and golden (approx. 3 minutes). Place on a paper towel for a few minutes to drain any excess oil before serving.
Healthy, colourful and naturally sweet, what's not to love?
INGREDIENTS (Makes 12)
For the crust:
2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
1/8 tsp sea salt
For the filling:
150g cashews (soaked to soften)
2 freshly squeezed lemons
1 beet, peeled and quartered
100g plain Greek yogurt
50g maple syrup
1. Add pecans to a food processor and process into a rough crumb consistency. Add dates, cocoa powder and sea salt and process for about 1 minute until smooth.
2. Scoop mixture into a lined muffin tin, carefully packing it down evenly using your fingers.
3. Add remaining ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the filling into each muffin tin over the crust.
4. Freeze for 1 to 2 hours to set, and allow muffins to thaw for 5 minutes before serving,
Serve with cut vegetables like carrots, celery and cucumber.
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
2 medium cooked beetroot
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon (zest and juice)
2 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
1. Process beetroot, chickpeas and garlic in a food processor for 1 minute.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients and process until creamy. Add more tahini or water to achieve the desired consistency.
3. Adjust seasoning, adding more salt, cumin, olive oil, or lemon juice if needed.
4. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.